Social Events and Special Discounts for C&T Delegates
The conference program for C&T 2011 includes a welcome reception and a conference dinner. We are also working with our partners on special rates for C&T delegates, including:
- Reduced fare to ride on the Airtrain from Brisbane Airport into Brisbane City for C&T delegates at a rate of $15 return (usually $28). Please exchange your personal discount letter sent to you by us after registering for C&T for your special return fare at the Airtrain station located outside the Domestic Terminal, or on the 3rd floor adjacent to the International Terminal.
- 15% off at The Villager pub and bar (see below for more information)
- 10% off at The Edge Coffee Shop if you sign up for a free Edge account
- discounts for selected pre- and post-conference tours so you can see more of Brisbane and Queensland
- 20% discount at the Wheel of Brisbane. Just show your C&T name badge.
- 25% off at River City Cruises (collect your discount voucher from the reception desk)
- 20% off selected titles of John Wiley (see book display table and USB stick)
- 20% off selected titles of MIT Press (see book display table and USB stick)
- up to 50% off selected titles of IGI Global (see book display table and USB stick)
- 15% off all Rosenfeld books purchased through their website (see book display table and USB stick for discount code)
- 5% off Qantas flights
The Welcome Reception will be held on Thursday, 30 June 2011, from 5.30pm to 6.30pm, at the conference venue, The Edge, overlooking the Brisbane River and the Brisbane inner-city skyline. Delegates will be greeted with a glass of champagne on arrival. We will recommend five dinner locations to Thursday’s workshop chairs, so you can either join your workshop group for an informal dinner after the welcome reception, or make your own plans to catch up with friends and colleagues in South Bank, West End, or Brisbane’s CBD.
The Conference Dinner will be held Friday, 1 July 2011, starting 7pm, at Moda Events Portside.
Moda Events Portside is a stunning venue offering the best of Brisbane. Only a few minutes from the CBD, the outstanding state-of-the-art building is sperbly located on the top level of the Brisbane Cruise Ship Terminal at Portside Wharf in Hamilton, and offers fantastic views of the city and the Brisbane River.
Moda’s excellent cuisine is created by award-winning Chef Owen Lacey who prides himself in changing his menus regularly with the season and using the best produce available on the market, making Moda Events Portside one of the finest establishments in Brisbane.
C&T delegates will enjoy drinks and canapés on the balcony while soaking in the stunning views over the water. Coupled with the exquisite food, wine and service, Moda Events Portside will provide the right environment for an unforgettable conference dinner.
Boat Cruise to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
The Mirimar Cruise Boat departs at 10am on Wednesday from Wharf 4 North Quay, located below the Casino and Victoria Bridge just further on from the CityCat ferry pontoon. Boarding commences from 9.30am. The cruise to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary is an entertaining, narrated journey that includes morning tea. You will come face to face with a unique inner-city colony of fruit bats hidden among the mangroves and see breathtaking modern mansions and historic Queenslander homes, along Brisbane’s sought after riverfront. Once you arrive at Lone Pine Sanctuary you can enjoy 2.5 hours there hand feeding kangaroos and emus, watching animal shows and maybe even cuddling a koala! The return journey will include a light lunch and the boat will return to the city around 3pm.
Please sign up for this excursion during the online registration process. This social event takes place as an alternative to the Wednesday workshops. Speakers and participants of the Wednesday workshops and the Doctoral Consortium are unable to attend the boat cruise, and we encourage you to make time to see the koala sanctuary in your own time.
15% off at the official C&T 2011 bistro and pub
Located behind the Treasury Casino, The Villager Hotel offers a city central location close to South Bank, hotels, shops, public transport and parking. As part of a heritage listed building, The Villager Hotel delivers a new concept to Brisbane’s hospitality landscape – sophisticated yet casual dining, from breakfast, lunch then dinner through to late night snacks – a place for those in search of the unpretentious and down to earth yet quality establishment.
The New York warehouse style exposes the building’s original brick walls and hardwood beams, accentuated by antique industrial pendant lights, whimsical wallpaper, flamboyantly upholstered banquette seating and quirky wall hangings.
Open 7 days from 7am to late, for Breakfast, Coffee, Lunch, Dinner, Supper & Cocktails. The Villager is delighted to offer delegates of the Communities & Technologies Conference 2011 and their partners a discount of 15% off food and drink purchases. Please bring in your conference ID to redeem this offer. The Villager also offers a charge-back option for delegates staying at Oaks Casino Towers next door.
View C&T 2011 in a larger map.